2. Front of Gatehouse

A performance of The Lost Colony Symphonic Outdoor Drama planted the seed in the creative minds that first envisioned this garden. In 1950 The Garden Club of North Carolina, a non-profit organization of 17,000 women, was asked to sponsor a two-acre garden on a ten-acre tract adjoining Fort Raleigh. This cultural attraction would be a permanent "living" memorial to Sir Walter Raleigh’s lost colonists.